Sunday 1st May:
Our guide said if you can see the stars tonight, then it will be clear in the morning. So I checked at 4.30am when I got up, and yes I could see stars, it bode well for seeing the sun rise over Macchu Pichu. An early bus got me to the entrance by 6.15am and I hiked up the route we took yesterday and found a location classically overlooking the citadel and waiting for the sun rise, I wasn't disappointed. Gradually the sun crept above the high ridge to the east and gradually the whole citadel lit up, with beautiful light and shade. Everyone took the obligatory photos of themselves posing in front of the view.
After that it was decision time, Wayne Pichu, or Sun Gate, I chose Sun Gate as it would afford better views of the citadel, and it was a walk and not a scramble that Wayne would be. It took an hour to get to Sun Gate, a good bracing walk with great views all the way, which included plenty of flora and fauna. There were many Inca Trail trekkers coming down, having completed their three night, four day hike from Ollantaytamtebo.
Half an hour and I'm back down at the entrance and the day's visitors are flooding in, it seems I've really lucked out, great weather, best time. It gets better as I get on the bus with just two other ladies, and it's off, we didn't have to wait for the bus to fill, probably as they need them all at the bottom to bring people up. Excellent, back in time to have a shower and a little more breakfast.
Lorna had done the orchid garden tour, and with the help of a personal guide, found many small and hidden blooms that she wouldn't have found by herself. The Inkaterra Hotel was a beautiful place, set in a tropical garden setting, just a shame we couldn't spend a few more day here.
And then amazing coincidence number three. We're sitting in the lounge waiting for lunch and a couple come in. He says, "Is your name Allan, yes I say, From Oakham, yes I say, From Glebe Way, yes I say, I'm afraid you have the better of me sir". He is John, she is Margaret and they are very good friends of Pam & Graeme Boothman. Lorna had sent our itinerary to Pam, and they had set John, a retired policeman like Graeme, the challenge of finding us during their trip. We took the photos as evidence of John's detective ability which Lorna sends off to Pam.
Not feeling great after the walk this morning, so just a light lunch before returning on the Vitstadome train to Poroy, just outside Cusco. Our table companions are a couple of ladies from Essex and Hunstanton who have completed the Inca Trail that morning, and are looking forward to a few beers that evening in Cusco. The train journey is livened by some folk dancing, and even a fashion show. Imagine this on British Rail, the stewards in each carriage doing a fashion show, of the latest knitwear, I think not. I'm convinced that the male steward is a Peruvian version of David Walliams, the ladies are not so sure, but he does have that air that DW has, but he does look embarrassed prancing up and down the carriage in Andean knitwear.
By the time we get back it's past 8pm and so we dine in before retiring for yet another early morning, and another train journey, ten hours across the altiplano to Puno.
Our guide said if you can see the stars tonight, then it will be clear in the morning. So I checked at 4.30am when I got up, and yes I could see stars, it bode well for seeing the sun rise over Macchu Pichu. An early bus got me to the entrance by 6.15am and I hiked up the route we took yesterday and found a location classically overlooking the citadel and waiting for the sun rise, I wasn't disappointed. Gradually the sun crept above the high ridge to the east and gradually the whole citadel lit up, with beautiful light and shade. Everyone took the obligatory photos of themselves posing in front of the view.
After that it was decision time, Wayne Pichu, or Sun Gate, I chose Sun Gate as it would afford better views of the citadel, and it was a walk and not a scramble that Wayne would be. It took an hour to get to Sun Gate, a good bracing walk with great views all the way, which included plenty of flora and fauna. There were many Inca Trail trekkers coming down, having completed their three night, four day hike from Ollantaytamtebo.
Half an hour and I'm back down at the entrance and the day's visitors are flooding in, it seems I've really lucked out, great weather, best time. It gets better as I get on the bus with just two other ladies, and it's off, we didn't have to wait for the bus to fill, probably as they need them all at the bottom to bring people up. Excellent, back in time to have a shower and a little more breakfast.
Lorna had done the orchid garden tour, and with the help of a personal guide, found many small and hidden blooms that she wouldn't have found by herself. The Inkaterra Hotel was a beautiful place, set in a tropical garden setting, just a shame we couldn't spend a few more day here.
And then amazing coincidence number three. We're sitting in the lounge waiting for lunch and a couple come in. He says, "Is your name Allan, yes I say, From Oakham, yes I say, From Glebe Way, yes I say, I'm afraid you have the better of me sir". He is John, she is Margaret and they are very good friends of Pam & Graeme Boothman. Lorna had sent our itinerary to Pam, and they had set John, a retired policeman like Graeme, the challenge of finding us during their trip. We took the photos as evidence of John's detective ability which Lorna sends off to Pam.
Not feeling great after the walk this morning, so just a light lunch before returning on the Vitstadome train to Poroy, just outside Cusco. Our table companions are a couple of ladies from Essex and Hunstanton who have completed the Inca Trail that morning, and are looking forward to a few beers that evening in Cusco. The train journey is livened by some folk dancing, and even a fashion show. Imagine this on British Rail, the stewards in each carriage doing a fashion show, of the latest knitwear, I think not. I'm convinced that the male steward is a Peruvian version of David Walliams, the ladies are not so sure, but he does have that air that DW has, but he does look embarrassed prancing up and down the carriage in Andean knitwear.
By the time we get back it's past 8pm and so we dine in before retiring for yet another early morning, and another train journey, ten hours across the altiplano to Puno.
No comments:
Post a Comment