Wednesday 27th April:
We say farewell to Viktor and driver Henrique, we have tipped them well, and they deserved it, Henrique drove very considerately and Viktor was the perfect guide, knowledgeable, good English, and did not talk at us all the time.
The flight from Arequipa is one of the best, only an hour, but across the Andes with a cloudless sky for most of the way. I use the twatpad to take quite a few photos as we start on the dry side, cross the alti-plano, and then finish on the greener and much vallied side. With this great overview of the geography it is not too difficult to understand how Macchu Pichu was never discovered by the Spanish, as it was hidden away in such deep valleys.
Booked into to the superb Aranwa Hotel in Cusco, a restored colonial mansion, by 10.30am; it really has the most amazing bathroom, Hanna & Lucy would love it. We spend the late morning strolling around the main plazas, and low and behold come across a major festival we believe to be the Senor Torrechayo, patron saint of Urubamba, annual shindig. There's dancing, bands, fantastic costumes and has something to do with llamas, or maybe not. They do a full loop of the Plaza before disappearing up a steep side street. This is all accompanied by regular bangs of fire crackers being let off.
Lunch on the balcony of a cafe overlooking the square before shopping for a belt. Twenty soles seems reasonable for a woven belt, after a quotation of thirty; it should keep my reserve pair of walking trousers up for this trip.
Beware Greeks bearing gifts, it seems that Lima Tours still wanted to make a gesture following our feedback, so they booked us a complimentary meal and show at Tunupa. This is a cavernous place for large tour groups, complete with very average buffet, and average folk group. Lorna hated everything about it and ate just some dessert. I think I'm a bit more forgiving and just see these things as part of the great ebb and flow of travelling.
A nightcap, an Irish coffee, another mistake on my part, circa £10, and I leave half of it unfinished on the bar. To make matters worse, I have a banging headache by midnight, will I ever learn.
We say farewell to Viktor and driver Henrique, we have tipped them well, and they deserved it, Henrique drove very considerately and Viktor was the perfect guide, knowledgeable, good English, and did not talk at us all the time.
The flight from Arequipa is one of the best, only an hour, but across the Andes with a cloudless sky for most of the way. I use the twatpad to take quite a few photos as we start on the dry side, cross the alti-plano, and then finish on the greener and much vallied side. With this great overview of the geography it is not too difficult to understand how Macchu Pichu was never discovered by the Spanish, as it was hidden away in such deep valleys.
Booked into to the superb Aranwa Hotel in Cusco, a restored colonial mansion, by 10.30am; it really has the most amazing bathroom, Hanna & Lucy would love it. We spend the late morning strolling around the main plazas, and low and behold come across a major festival we believe to be the Senor Torrechayo, patron saint of Urubamba, annual shindig. There's dancing, bands, fantastic costumes and has something to do with llamas, or maybe not. They do a full loop of the Plaza before disappearing up a steep side street. This is all accompanied by regular bangs of fire crackers being let off.
Lunch on the balcony of a cafe overlooking the square before shopping for a belt. Twenty soles seems reasonable for a woven belt, after a quotation of thirty; it should keep my reserve pair of walking trousers up for this trip.
Beware Greeks bearing gifts, it seems that Lima Tours still wanted to make a gesture following our feedback, so they booked us a complimentary meal and show at Tunupa. This is a cavernous place for large tour groups, complete with very average buffet, and average folk group. Lorna hated everything about it and ate just some dessert. I think I'm a bit more forgiving and just see these things as part of the great ebb and flow of travelling.
A nightcap, an Irish coffee, another mistake on my part, circa £10, and I leave half of it unfinished on the bar. To make matters worse, I have a banging headache by midnight, will I ever learn.
No comments:
Post a Comment